“Everyone wants to be rich. Although most people think being rich is about having money, rich is a description for everything but money. Rich relationships lead to much more than money. They lead to success, fulfillment, and wealth.” – Jeffrey Gitomer
Networking is becoming more important then ever as most great jobs are never even posted, they are filled through personal connections. It’s up to you to connect, but networking is not about strategies and tactics, it’s about creating mutually beneficial relationships, where you not only receive, but provide value. ‘The Little Black Book of Connections’ by Jeffrey Gitomer is a quick read that gets to the point, with comic and lists it is a great way to understand connections and connecting. The following is one of the most valuable lists in the book.
The 17.5 Strategies, Guidelines and Rules of Connecting – Jeffrey Gitomer
- Be friendly first, and everything else falls into place.
- Project your self image in a way that breeds confidence in others.
- Your ability to look someone in the eye as you speak to them is a tell-tale sign of your own self-respect.
- Your consistent positive attitude will breed positive responses and positive results.
- No connection is made without some form of risk.
- Ninety percent of success is showing up prepared.
- The less you focus on your motive to met, the more likely it is that your connection will be successful.
- Take a genuine interest in other people before you ask them to take a genuine interest in you.
- The sooner you can find something in common with the other guy, the sooner all the barriers will disappear.
- The higher up the ladder you go, the more cautious people will be of your advances.
- Your projected image will often determine your ability to make a real connection.
- People judge you by every action that you take.
- Provide value.
- Transferring you message with EXCELLENT communication skills.
- Staying in touch is more important and more valuable than making the initial connection.
- Since you don’t know what day a powerful connection will be made, you must be ready every day.
- Your present reputation determines your future fate.
17.5 Be yourself. Talk real, act real, be real, and you will find that others will do the same in return.
There are several reasons for being yourself.
First it’s the most comfortable feeling you can give yourself.
Second, it’s obvious when you project it. It shows that you’re relaxed with it, and confident with it.
Third, it’s always repeatable. It allows you to be consistent in all of your communications with all of your connections.
And finally, it’s the best and most honest way to act. It creates an atmosphere for open dialogue and honest communication.
So I leave with you with one last question to think about regarding the quality of your connections.
“Who can you count on? And who’s counting on you? Who would you call at two in the morning? Is anybody home?” – Harvey Mackay